How to Help Teenagers with Skin Problems
- Avoid the temptation to go overboard! Harsh cleansers, astringents, and scrubs can make problems worse.
- Cleanse skin twice a day with a gentle cleanser. Make sure to rinse thoroughly.
- Avoid harsh soaps and creams (unless recommended by a dermatologist).
- If you want to try topical acne treatments, start off slowly.
What's the Difference Between Astringent and Toner?
Is Astringent Good for Skin?
It’s been a long time since astringents were the prom queens of the skincare world (that’s not the scientific term). What changed and why?
Skincare experts used to think that the way to manage oily, blemish-prone skin was to remove the oil and bacteria. Hence, they loved harsh, bacteria-killing astringents (among other products). But in the last few decades, those experts started changing their minds.
How to Exfoliate Your Face
There are right ways and wrong ways to exfoliate. The wrong ways fall into one of these categories:
- Not doing it at all
- Doing it too often
- Doing it too harshly (too scratchy or too burn-y)
Is Skincare Really Necessary?
Dermatologists disagree on a lot, but they agree on two biggies:
- Everyone should wear sunscreen every day
- Everyone should wash their face every night